Social Login allows your community members to register on using their existing social account ID, eliminating the need to fill out registration forms and to remember usernames and passwords. Social Login links logins to one or more social networking services (called identity providers or IDP) to your community. By selecting the desired social networking service, the user simply uses his or her login for that services to sign on to your community.
At a technical level, Social Login uses a number of open protocols to allow secure authorization in a simple and standard method from web, mobile and desktop applications (see OAuth). Nowadays, most social networks implements those protocols to make their users accounts available through an Application Programming Interface (API). Given you have the right user authorizations, your community may access the said APIs to perform a wide range or operations in behalf of the user – for example social sharing, user profile, user friends list, user activity stream, status updates and more.
- Go to the Google Developers Console .
- From the project drop-down, select a project , or create a new one.
- Enable the Google+ API service:
- In the list of Google APIs, search for the Google+ API service.
- Select Google+ API from the results list.
- Press the Enable API button.
- When the process completes, Google+ API appears in the list of enabled APIs. To access, select API Manager on the left sidebar menu, then select the Enabled APIs tab.
- In the sidebar under “API Manager”, select Credentials.
- In the Credentials tab, select the New credentials drop-down list, and choose API key.
- From the Create a new key pop-up, choose the appropriate kind of key for your project: Server key, Browser key, Android key, or iOS key.
- Enter a key Name, fill in any other fields as instructed, then select Create.
- After creation you should find App ID and Secret Key. You will need both App ID and Secret Key when configuring the Google+ API inside Socialveo.
More info here https://developers.google.com/+/web/api/rest/oauth
- In step 7, you should choose Browser key for Socialveo Web App and Android key or iOS key for Socialveo Mobile Apps.
- Redirect URIs: http://yourdomain.com/auth/redirect?hauth.done=Google
Change http://yourdomain.com with your domain.
- Login to your Facebook account and then navigate to http://developers.facebook.com/ and click My Apps > Add a New App in the top menu.
- After you click Add a New App a popup shows up where you are supposed to name your new app. Add required information and then click Create App ID.
- When created, your are redirected to your new app account – navigate to Dashboard. Click Choose platform to set the type of application you want to create – choose Website platform for Socialveo Web App, and Android or iOS for Socialveo Mobile Apps.
- In the next screen of the configuration wizard, you can click Skip Quick Star” in the top right hand corner. All the settings can be set in the configuration later.
- After you click Skip Quick Start the Dashboard page of your App shows up. In this Dashboard notice the App ID and Secret fields. Next to the Secret field you will have to click the Show button so that you receive the Secret key. You will need both App ID and Secret key when configuring the Facebook App inside Socialveo.
- Next, choose the Settings menu and fill in the App Domains field with the name of the domain of your Socialveo installation. Only the website from this domain will be able to use the Facebook app. You also have to fill out the Contact Email with a valid email address.
- Still in that Settings screen (Basic tab) click Add Platform” and choose Website.
- Then, you will see the Settings screen (Basic tab) again and the Website section in it. Now, in that Website section you have to set the Site URL. The Site URL must be a URL address leading to your installation of Socialveo, including the protocol (http:// or https://). The value should look like http://yourdomain.com/.
The final steps for both, Facebook and Google+ (and others IDP) it’s to add the App ID and Secret Key inside Socialveo configuration.